August 5, 2020
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS AND GUARDIANS
As the school year begins I want you to know the Charlton County School System is dedicated to keeping your children safe. We have developed an opening plan in consultation with guidelines as developed by the Georgia Department of Public Health, Department of Education and the Office of the Governor of Georgia. Please be aware of the following recommendations:
- Talk to your child about COVID-19 and remind him or her about social distancing and how important it is to follow the directives of their teachers and school personnel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has created guidance to help parents have conversations with children about COVID-19 and ways they can avoid getting and spreading the disease.
- Daily, assess your child for the below signs and symptoms PRIOR TO SENDING THEM TO SCHOOL OR THE SCHOOL BUS:
- Fever (greater than 100.3ºF) or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New cough
- New loss of taste or smell
If your child has any of these symptoms, they must stay home and you should
contact your child’s healthcare provider.
- Develop a plan to pick up your child from school, should they become ill.
- Ensure your emergency contact information provided to the school is up-to-date. Ensuring your information is correct will help you receive timely communication from the school.
Finally, we ask for your patience and understanding as we seek to operate our schools in truly unprecedented times. We fully expect many challenges are ahead of us, but we are confident that if schools, parents and our community work together through these difficult days, we can provide our most valuable resources, the children of Charlton County, a quality and safe education.
John D. Lairsey, Ed.D